Forum

Is it possible for ...

Notifications
Clear all

Is it possible for a director to stay anonymous?

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 xavs
(@xavs)
Topic starter

I'm a film student on my first semester. I've been thinking a lot about what I want to do in the future and like almost every student, I want to be a director. However, it makes me anxious the fact of being seen. I know is not easy to be a recognised director arround the world, but given that scenerio, is it possible to separate the personal life of the director so people focus more on the art than the artist. Just as some musicians (like daft punk) or writters stay anonymous to their public, can a director do the same. Also nowadays with the "cancel culture" is very easy for anyone to ruin someone's entire work with false statements. What do y'all think about this?

xvs

Posted : 02/09/2021 2:11 am
(@filmmaking-net)
Member Admin

Long before the existence of 'cancel culture', directors have chosen to remain anonymous for a variety of reasons.

The main one was when there was significant disagreement between the producers/studio and the director. In Hollywood, this resulted in the Directors' Guild of America allowing members take their credit as "Alan Smithee" to effectively disown a film.

But there's also nothing stopping a director from assuming a professional pseudonym, just as many authors have done since the invention of writing.

--
Benjamin Craig
Editor-in-Chief, filmmaking.net

--
Benjamin Craig
Editor-in-Chief, filmmaking.net

Posted : 14/09/2021 6:01 am
Share: